Here is a simple and healthy go to snack or power bar to always have on hand! I love to make these granola bars in bulk changing the spices, nuts, seeds, and dried fruit and keeping them in the fridge. Making your own granola bars is a great healthy recipe to learn because a lot of the granola bars sold in markets and convenient shops are unfortunately unhealthy for us. They tend to be loaded with sugar and preservatives. I am a big advocate for staying clear of foods that are ladened with fillers, sugars and its many accomplices, and chemicals. So many of us grab granola bars or give them to our kids thinking we are eating something better for our bodies instead of a bag of chips, but unfortunately not all granola bars are good for us. This is why I created this recipe to always have a better and healthier option for a snack, power bar, or granola bar.
Yields 9 squares
Time 12-15 minutes (in the fridge setting for 4-6 hours, or even over night)
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/3 cup honey
4 tablespoons unsalted butter - melted
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup dried apricots - chopped
1/2 cup raw almonds
1/4 cup raw pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
A pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Also line an 8x8 square pan with parchment paper and leave this aside.
2. Place rolled oats, pumpkin seeds, almonds, salt and ground cinnamon in a bowl and mix together. Pour this on a baking sheet and toast for 8-10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile on the stove top heat together the honey and butter until the butter is melted. Carefully pour this in a large bowl.
4. Cut the dried apricots into small pieces and add to the bowl with the honey and butter.
5. Once the oats and seeds have toasted remove it from the oven and turn the oven off. Carefully pour the oat mixture in with the other ingredients. With a spatula fold together.
6. Pour the granola mixture into the parchment lined 8x8 baking pan and sooth it out with the a spatula. You want to make sure that the parchment hangs over the pan to it is easy to remove once it sets.
7. Place the granola in the fridge for 4-6 hours to let it completely set. Once it has set carefully remove it and cut it into squares with a sharp knife.
*** Best to keep wrapped each piece in plastic wrap and in an air tight sealed bag in the fridge. Keeps for 2-3 weeks.
*** Also other seeds and nuts can be used instead.