Thanksgiving sides are just as important as the roast turkey and ham. On my Thanksgiving menu there has to be a sweet potato casserole. It just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without it. My recipe for this side dish changes throughout the years. When my cousins and I were younger we loved this dish because of the marshmallows. What kid doesn't? A few years we just did plain roasted sweet potato casserole and well that was boring. Then we started to add a butter pecan brown sugar topping and the sweet potato casserole became exciting again. This year I want to make it extra special and sweet by combining a childhood favorite of marshmallow topped sweet potato casserole and the butter pecan topping.
This side dish really seems more like a dessert than a side dish, but for me it has to go on my Thanksgiving main plate. Leave the pies for dessert (haha). Thanksgiving is a feast and a special occasion, why not add a little something sweet into the mix of a savory decadent meal. Plus in my family of 20 + guests there has to be something for everyone. There are a lot of mouths to feed and people to please.
This recipe lends itself to easy prep. If you have a large guest list and many dishes to prepare. I recommend preparing the sweet potatoes the day before. You can roast and puree them with the ingredients in the food processor the day before. Place the puree of sweet potato in the casserole dish and cover it well with foil and pop it in the fridge for the night. Make sure to put a sticky not on it "DON"T EAT!", because in my house if not that would be gone by the next day, and well that would be a catastrophe. All you have to do the following day (Thanksgiving) is mix together the pecan topping and garnish the sweet potato casserole with the marshmallows and it is ready to serve once it is out of the oven. Enjoy this sweet side dish on your Thanksgiving!
Yields 6-8 servings
Time 45-55 minutes
4 large sweet potatoes - roasted
1/3 cup whole milk greek yogurt
1/2-2/3 cup whole milk
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon butter
1 cup marshmallows
1. Preheat oven to roast 425 degrees. Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and roast until tender about 35-40 minutes.
2. Once they are baked and soft remove the sweet potatoes from the oven. Let them cool for 10 minutes before peeling the skin off if not you will burn from the steam.
3. Place the peeled sweet potatoes in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Using a masher, mash the sweet potatoes.
4. Using a food processor add the mashed sweet potatoes, cinnamon, greek yogurt, and 1/2 cup of milk. Processor until smooth. If you find the the consistency to thick add more milk. Transfer the creamy sweet potatoes to a baking dish and using a spatula even the top of the sweet potato casserole.
5. In a saute pan heat the butter and once melted add the brown sugar and pecans. Toss together to coat the pecans. Top the sweet potato casserole with the brown sugar pecans. Garnish with marshmallows. Pop this casserole into the oven at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes until the marshmallows turn golden brown.
6. Remove the casserole from the oven and let it cool 10 minutes before serving.