I love a good chocolate dessert and well this is a great one! It is an elegant dessert to present at a dinner party and I promise it isn't too difficult to prepare. Plus it is very rich so a small serving goes a long way. I recommend serving this with either some homemade whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Yields 12 servings
For the Walnut Crust:
3 cups raw whole walnuts
1 large egg
6 tablespoons unsalted butter - diced
2 tablespoons sugar
For the Salted Caramel:
1/4 cup water
1 cup cane sugar
3 tablespoons unsalted butter - diced
2/3 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons sea salt
Vanilla extract (optional)
For the Salted Dark Chocolate:
2 cups chopped dark chocolate, chocolate chips, baking chocolate
1 tablespoon coarse salt or rock salt
1. To make the crust preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Using a food processor place the walnuts, sugar, and butter. Pulse to process. You are looking for a coarse crumble.
3. Add the egg and pulse until it is a coarse meal. It should be about 4-6 pulses.
4. Place a tart pan on a lines baking sheet. Press the walnut crust into the tart dish and make sure to comes to the edge. Place foil over the the walnut crust and either use baking weight or dried beans. Dock the foil with a fork, poke a few holes in it. Bake for 15 minutes with the foil. Then remove the foil and weights, bake for another 10-15 minutes until golden.
5. Remove the tart and let it cool.
6. Meanwhile prepare the caramel.
7. In a large pan, add water and sugar over medium heat. Stir until the sugar has dissolved.
8. Turn the heat up and stir. You are looking for this mixture to start boiling. Keep stirring and be careful. You are looking for this to take on an amber color. It can take anywhere from 5-10 minutes.
9. Once you reach the amber color, remove the pot from heat, add the cream. Careful because it can bubble. Stir vigorously and then add the butter, salt and vanilla (if you are adding it).
10. Pour half of the salted caramel over the walnut crust . The other half is left overs.... YEAH! Place the tart in the freezer for it to cool down, about 30 minutes to an hour.
11. Meanwhile make the salted chocolate.
12. Over a double boiler, add the chocolate. Over medium heat, melt the chocolate. This takes about 8 minutes for all the chocolate to melt.
13. Once it is melted remove from the heat and let it sit for about 10 minutes to come to cool down.
14. When the tart has cooled in the freezer, remove and carefully pour the chocolate over the caramel.
15. To finish the dessert add pinches of salt over the chocolate. Place this bake in the freezer for 30 minutes then place it in the fridge until you are ready to serve.