Pumpkin everything right now! Making homemade ice cream is a wonderful treat and the more I do it the more I want to come up with different flavors. This flavor combination is a great one for the a Halloween or Thanksgiving treat. Everyone loves an ice cream cone no matter the weather outside. Ice cream is always a comforting dessert for any age. You don't have to be a master ice cream maker or even own an ice cream machine to make this recipe. All you need are a few fall ingredients and some patients.
Yields 8 servings
500 ml whole milk
4 egg yolks
150 grams cane sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon allspice
A pinch of nutmeg
A pinch of salt
1/2-2/3 cup chopped raw pecans
1. If using an ice cream maker either pre-freeze the ice cream bucket, if not set to cool mode. If you are not using an ice cream skip this step.
2. On the stove top in a sauce pan warm milk, spices, vanilla, salt and pumpkin puree.
3. In a bowl whisk together the sugar and egg yolk. You want to see it change to a pale yellow color and to create ribbons. Once you have done this, ladle a scoop of the warm milk mixture into the eggs and sugar mixture. Make sure to whisk while you temper the eggs. Add another ladle of warm milk and whisk.
4. Add the egg mixture to the stove top in the sauce pan. Over low heat let this "cook" and thicken slightly.
5. Then pour this mixture over a fine mesh sieve. Add this either to the ice cream maker and allow it to churn. If not using an ice cream maker add the pecans now and put it into a container and place in the freezer.
6. Add the pecans during the "Add-In" time of churning. Once it has churned transfer the ice cream to a container and place in the freezer for it to set for 4-6 hours before serving.