A bright and zesty cake for anytime of day! It is a lovely time of year now that it is spring. The flowers are full bloom and the longer days mean summer is just around the corner. This pound cake is a delicious treat to make with Easter around the corner. The punch of lemon from the cake and pillow soft texture of the cake makes it feel so light and airy yet refreshing. A cake during this time of year should be bright and filled out light flavors. This cake is just that! A joy for your palate and something delicious to smile about!
Yields 8-10 servings
Time 45-60 minutes
2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
8 tablespoons of unsalted butter - room temperature
1 cup cane sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 cup egg whites whipped
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2-3 tablespoons milk
1/2 cup powdered sugar
Garnish with Lavender (optional) or Candied Lemon Peels (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a bundt cake with some butter and flour and set aside.
2. Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks, about 5-6 minutes. Then place the egg whites in a separate bowl.
3. In a stand mixer cream together the room temperature butter and sugar. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl.
4. In a separate bowl mix together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set this aside.
5. Add the eggs and mix until the egg yolks break in the stand mixer.
5. Alternating lemon juice with zest and dry mixture into the stand mixer while the mixer is on low/medium. Once a batter is formed and the flour is completely mixed in stop to not over mix it. Fold in the whipped egg whites from earlier. Pour the batter in the lightly greased baking pan. Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes, until the center comes out clean.
6. To make the glaze whisk together the milk and powdered sugar until a thick consistency is formed.
7. Once the cake is cooked remove from oven and allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then flip it out onto a cooling rack. Allow the cake to cool completely before topping it with the glaze and garnishes.
Serve and enjoy!