It is simple. It is delicious. It is so nourishing. Congee is the Japanese version of porridge. Instead of oats they use left over rice. In this case I used brown sushi short grain rice. The stock used makes this dish very comforting and extremely nourishing. If you have an upset stomach, or are under the weather this is the dish to prepare. Also it is great for those chilly mornings, definitely help you to warm up from the inside out.
Yields 2 servings
2 farm eggs
1 1/2 cups sushi brown rice - soaked
1 teaspoon Mirin
Salt + Pepper
1. Using the rice cooker measuring cup measure out 1 1/2 cups of sushi grade brown rice. Soak for 30-35 minutes in cold water. Once soaked, drain the water and add the rice to the rice cooker.
2. Place a pinch of salt, the mirin and the required amount of liquid, half water and half stock to create a porridge. Set your rice cooker to porridge mode and allow it to cook.
3. Once cooked keep it warm while you poach the eggs.
4. Bring a sauce pan of water half way filled to a light simmer. Crack each egg into a separate ramekin and very gently add the eggs one at a time to the simmering water. Allow the eggs to cook for 2-3 minutes until the egg whites are cooked.
5. Gently remove the poached eggs on to a plate with paper towel to dry them off. Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper.
6. To plate add the scallions if using to the porridge brown rice and gently mix. Top each bowl with a poached egg and serve.